New Delhi: On October 21 Defence Minister Rajnath Singh had announced that Siachen is an open area for tourism. Now reacting to India’s claim Pakistan on Thursday said that Siachen is a disputed territory and could not be opened for tourism by India. “India forcibly occupied Siachen Glacier and it is a disputed area. How can India open it for tourism?” said Muhammad Faisal, Pakistan Foreign Office Spokesperson.
“From Siachen Base Camp to Kumar Post, the entire area has been opened for tourism purposes,” Rajnath Singh had said.
Faisal further said that Pakistan was not expecting anything good or positive from India in the matter. The Foreign Office Spokesperson also alleged that India is creating hurdles for pilgrims visiting Kartarpur. Faisal said that a total of 5,000 people were allowed to visit the shrine but the actual numbers were lower than expected. The Kartarpur corridor was opened this month, celebrating the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.
On November 18, 4 Indian Army soldiers, Nk Maninder Singh, Sep Manish Kumar, Sep Dimpal Kumar and Sep Veerpal Singh had lost their lives in Avalanche on in Siachen Glacier. Siachen, situated at around 18000 ft above sea level is the world’s highest battlefield. The entire glacier, with all its major passes, is currently under the administration of India since 1984. In 1984, India launched Operation Meghdoot, a military operation that gave India control over all of the glacier region. Since then Pakistan has been trying to gain control over the region. However, as a matter of fact, more soldiers have died from the harsh weather conditions in the area than from combat.